Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Brakes...Gas...Brakes..Gas...

I have a new surge of hope today because we have received some news that we DO have options for Rosie that DO NOT include heart transplantation at this point. We can breathe again.

Her surgeon here in DC met with me today and explained that he didn't feel that she would do well with a transplant right now and that reverting her back to her Hemi-Fontan may give her the relief and benefits that she needs. He also explained that at some point down the road, it is still possible that we may have to face the decision of transplantation and that no matter what we decide, there is still no guarantee that it will fix her problem. I am still hopeful.

Yesterday we had sent a packet of 9 discs and about 50 pages of info back to New York Presbyterian Children's Hospital where she had her first 2 surgeries. The intent was to get their opinion on whether or not she was a candidate for a transplant. To my joyous surprise, her cardiologist there said that no one on their team thought she needed a transplant at this point and that they thought they could help Rosie. They would like to try to do the trim back of the tissue in her atrial septum to reduce the pressure gradient that they feel has been causing her Fontan failure and pleural effusions.

We now have two solid surgical options that do not include transplant. We are waiting for the two surgeons from DC and NY to confer on what they think would ultimately be the best choice for Rosie. I have a gut feeling we will be going back to NY. My hope is that we can do whatever repair is necessary without relocating, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. This also means that we would be transported to NY as early as Sunday, which Columbia Presby and DC said they would help set up ASAP.

I would be relocating myself and Rosie to NY for at least 4 months. I have 2 other children to take care of and this makes it very hard for me and my family. The stress of not having them near me or being able to see them as often will be the worst part. Deciding to go to New York will include my sister and parents carrying much of this weight because they are currently loving and caring for my other two children and would need to continue to do so until we return. I am so blessed to have this option in the first place, to be able to have peace of mind about making this decision knowing that my children will have my sister, brother-in-law and parents to take the best care of them.

So here we are, about to embark on yet another set of decisions for Rosie. We are trying to give her a better option than what she has now with the best possibility for a better quality of life.

It's changing every day. Stay with us. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Josh, Sandy, Jaclyn, and Kinsey said...

That's wonderful news!!! I pray for a sense of peace with the plan of action that is chosen. Hope you can stay here in DC!